November 25, 2009

Poof!

There are a lot of birthdays this time of year (including mine), and I've always thought it was fun to have a bunch in a row. When I was a kid, my friend R's birthday was not too far from mine, and my second cousin (my mom's mom's brother's son) and a baby at church had the same birthday as me. My friend K and I had back-to-back birthdays all through grad school, and four of us in my current research group have birthdays within a couple of weeks.

There's a well-developed birthday ritual here: you bring cake, everyone else in the group surprises you with a present, everybody wins. We gave K a periodic-table shower curtain, K a toaster, and S enough limes and other things to keep her in caipirinhas for a while. They gave me a huge ball of this hilarious pompom yarn that's meant to be made into a garter-stitch scarf. I started it yesterday (and actually, S went out and got herself a ball and already made a scarf), and it is so poofy and fluffy and funny. I would not have bought novelty yarn for myself, so this is really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been on the internt for a while, so I'm moderating comments. Don't worry, your comment will show up sooner or later.